Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Italian Waistcoats!

So. Check this out. My Laurel, Maddalena, bless her, and I were geeking over the jackets/waistcoats in the V&A. Like this one - https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O10383/jacket-unknown 

  Then... oh... did we EVER find a piece! This jacket is ON DISPLAY! AS WE SPEAK! https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O107796/jacket-unknown/

  It is HEAVILY modified. When we brought it to our sunday group, everyone kind of looked and made their comments on what the heck is going on here. One lady, I believe it was Clare, mentioned that she thought they'd cut it down, then added the panels on the sides to suit the widening silhouette. My heart BREAKS, looking at this. It SHOULD be nominally constructed like the first one I linked. Same basket weave....same garter edges along the sides and underarm. The neckline is a hot mess, but was probably also modified to suit a much later form. I mean.. DUDE! LOOK AT THAT DARK YARN!!! The gold threads! ......and those floats. oh, those floats. Every hand knitter comes to colorwork eventually, and they fight with their floats. Apparently, knitters for hire in the medieval period just threw caution to the wind, kept those floats wildly long (i think you could hang small children in them) and just rolled with it... 

Tell me again that perfection is key

 Tell me again that you have to make things perfect. 

Tell me again, so I can tell you "NO! THAT ISNT RIGHT!" LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment