Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Dorset Horn Sheep!




Dorset Horn are a medium wool (28-34micron) with a varying crimp.  The ewes are like 200lbs, and can bear TWICE A YEAR!  They’re a dual use sheep - meaning they’re suited to both Dairy and Wool production, and can grow up to NINE POUNDS of wool per year!

Dorsey Horn are on the Conservation list, while their cousins, Dorsey Polled (hornless) are not.

The extra special property that I’ve come to love in Dorset?!   It’s naturally felting resistant!!   Yes, it WILL felt.. but it takes some effort and work 🙂.   This most awesome of properties is one of the huge bonuses of using Dorset for socks!  

My friend, Gail Parrinello, of Cornwall Yarn Shop, sold me the most beautiful skein of sock yarn, last time I was up there.  It is a Dorset and dyed with -INDIGO-!  She went into some detail about its ability to be even machine washed with only the most slight of fulling…. Her husband, bless him, was a test subject, I think she said lol. 





Dude!  Wash on gentle, amirite?! 

So..  when Mary Pavis Egbert of Camaj Fibers, put up that she was going to have some Dorset Horn, a breed on the Livestock Conservatory’s list, available..  and after being reminded by Vlad 😉 ....   after several weeks of waiting for the group sale, we now have a pound! 

I’m figuring a pair of the Typical Tudor stockings..    feel me?!    NOT A MEDIEVAL BREED!  But hard wearing and most likely not for competition (since they’re not a medieval breed as far as I have been able to find).  

Man.. the List grows…and grows… and GROWS!

No comments:

Post a Comment